Representatives of the National Rifle Association and ALEC may or may not have responded to the Zimmerman verdict by expressing concern that although the system worked well and George Zimmerman has his gun back, not enough black male teenagers are yet sufficiently armed. “Sundown laws and slavery are so yesterday’s news, and we support the right of black folk to stand their ground too. We have pretty much maxed out on sowing fear and terror in the white community. We need to expand or die, or expand and die. Whatever. The more guns the merrier. I am talking about market penetration and liberty here. No retreat!”
This ought to be satire, but see Jelani Cobb, discussing the NRA ad featuring Colion Noir.
- Let’s end Stand Your Ground (politico.com)
- How the NRA lobbied for ‘Stand Your Ground’ law that let Trayvon Martin’s killer go free (independent.co.uk)
- Spencer Critchley: What’s Next for the NRA: Arming Young Black Males (huffingtonpost.com)
- Jelani Cobb: The folly of Stand Your Ground laws. (newyorker.com)
- What Should Trayvon Martin Have Done? (newyorker.com)