President Obama, speaking at a memorial for the Navy Yard shooting victims, said “no other advanced nation endures this kind of violence. None.” Of course other countries, such as England and Japan, have endured terroristic attacks. But he was right, I think, in that no other “First World” country sees mass killing after mass killing without doing what it takes to drastically reduce their future likelihood. Wayne LaPierre of the NRA said today that “all the outrage…ought to be placed on an unprotected naval base.” If Wayne LaPierre has enough influence that a more rigorous system of background checks still cannot pass Congress, just as it couldn’t after the Newtown, Connecticut slaughter, I have to wonder about part of what President Obama said. How advanced a nation are we?
- NRA chief repeats call for ‘good guys with guns’ after navy yard shooting (theguardian.com)
- Wayne LaPierre On Navy Yard Shootings: ‘Wasn’t Enough Good Guys With Guns’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Obama says fight for gun laws ‘ought to obsess us’ (news.yahoo.com)
- At Navy Yard service, Obama rails against ‘routine’ of gun violence – Chicago Tribune (chicagotribune.com)
- Barack Obama Remembers Victims At Navy Yard Memorial (huffingtonpost.com)